Tuesday 29 October 2013

Telltale Games and New Narratives

Today, Telltale Games dropped a brief trailer teasing the future of their involvement in the Walking Dead franchise. For me, this is one of the most highly anticipated upcoming releases and a continuation of a franchise that reinvigorated video gaming and its unique narrative possibilities.


Season one was presented in 5 parts, each part being an "episode." The player controlled a character named Lee who has begun to look after a little girl named Clementine as they navigate the new wasteland of Georgia following a zombie apocalypse. Being cannon for a graphic novel, Telltale Games was put in a peculiar position. On the positive side, they were given a developed fiction and world in which to operate, but that came with expectations. But their aptitude for storytelling pushed the games to new levels.

In fact, these "games" could be considered the new media equivalent of "choose your own adventure" books. At various points throughout each episode, the character was given a divisive decision that would influence both the outcome of the game and how other characters perceived the one you were controlling. As this was the case, season one was propelled to a new level of narrative connection. Suddenly these complex characters and their oft-irrational choices became much easier to empathize with as Lee was put into more challenging decisions. Not only that, but us as players all of a sudden had a nearly tangible weight to our actions.

I remember my first time completing the first episode in season one. At the time, my expectations had been heightened by all the positive press. Yet nothing prepared me for a simple "who dies" decision. The agency I had with my given avatar made the actions I controlled, by extension, my actions. Furthermore, the relationships I held with the people were, again, my relationships. This had been done in video games before, but not in such a profound way. The decisions were dirty, gritty, and, as aforementioned, divisive. Curious as to just how divisive the decisions were? Check out this video.

***FULL SPOILERS FOR EPISODE ONE OF SEASON ONE BELOW***

But this method of story telling would only work if the characters and environments felt real. Far too many times will I play a game where the world feels to only exist around my characters. There's an immense advantage to be had working in an already developed world, and Telltale Games uses it. Characters that you encounter often have ties to the graphic novel/TV show and the game often reminds you that the world's social structure is collapsing. These are just two strategies the game implements in order to make this game a narrative based in Georgia, but happening on a global scale. In other words, the world feels fleshed out much further beyond our character's perspective. The believable nature strengthens the bond between the player and the interactions on screen while also avoiding the video game symptom that makes everything feel built around the player. Rather than having a crisis built around our character, our character helplessly watches this crisis while simply trying to last with his cast of survivors, each with a driving motive and unique relationship based on how the player progressed through the game.

So I'm prepared for season two. I'm not just willing to be subjected to such challenging choices, I want to. The unique way the narrative is woven to give meaning to actions exhibits just how video games can challenge conventional ideas of story telling and make the audience a part of the story. It had been done before, but not with as much expertise and finesse. Telltale Games reminded me about why I fell in love with video games by showing me just how unique of an experience they provide. As a fan, I can only hope it happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment